Assessment of Renewable Energy Production Capacity of Asian Countries: A Review
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The authors shall retain the copyright of their work but allow the Publisher to publish, copy, distribute, and convey the work.
New Energy Exploitation and Application (NEEA) publishes accepted manuscripts under Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0). Authors who submit their papers for publication by New Energy Exploitation and Application (NEEA) agree to have the CC BY 4.0 license applied to their work, and that anyone is allowed to reuse the article or part of it free of charge for any purpose, including commercial use. As long as the author and original source is properly cited, anyone may copy, redistribute, reuse and transform the content.
Most Asian countries have the capacity of renewable energy, including solar, hydro, wind, etc. Asian countries are geographically placed in an area with various climatic circumstances including tropical, and humid. Hence, easy access is provided to various renewable energy sources. The energy policies have been initiated by Asian governments for encouraging individuals and industries for employing renewable energy powered systems in power applications. There are large potentials of sustainable energy sources in Asian countries. Nevertheless, owing to different challenges, they globally perform in renewable energy deployment. The present paper deals with a comprehensive and updated overview of the renewable energy status in the Asian countries along with the present installed renewable energy capacities. The energy setup and renewable energy made in Asian countries are briefly described in this paper. Studying the years 2000 to 2019 comprehensively, the results revealed that China, India and Japan had the most renewable energy capacity in Asia with 790000 MW, 133000 MW and 120000 MW in 2019 respectively. Also the energy produced by renewable energy for these countries in 2019 was 1739400 GWH, 288622 GWH and 190587 GWH respectively.
Keywords:Renewable energy Asia Energy production Energy model
- Forootan, M.M., Larki, I., Zahedi, R., et al., 2022. Machine Learning and Deep Learning in Energy Systems: A Review. Sustainability. 14(8), 4832.
- Daneshgar, S., Zahedi, R., Farahani, O., 2022. Evaluation of the concentration of suspended particles in underground subway stations in Tehran and its comparison with ambient concentrations. Ann Environ Sci Toxicol. 6(1), 019-025.
- Chiari, L., Zecca, A., 2011. Constraints of fossil fuels depletion on global warming projections. Energy Policy. 39(9), 5026-5034.
- Hoel, M., Kverndokk, S., 1996. Depletion of fossil fuels and the impacts of global warming. Resource and Energy Economics. 18(2), 115-136.
- Nel, W.P., Cooper, C.J., 2009. Implications of fossil fuel constraints on economic growth and global warming. Energy Policy. 37(1), 166-180.
- Sebitosi, A., 2008. Energy efficiency, security of supply and the environment in South Africa: Moving beyond the strategy documents. Energy. 33(11), 1591- 1596.
- Ellabban, O., Abu-Rub, H., Blaabjerg, F., 2014. Renewable energy resources: Current status, future prospects and their enabling technology. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews. 39, 748-764.
- Jayed, M.H., Masjuki, H.H., Kalarn, M.A., et al., 2011. Prospects of dedicated biodiesel engine vehicles in Malaysia and Indonesia. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews. 15(1), 220-235.
- Mahlia, T.M.I., Abdulmuin, M.Z., Alamsyah, T.M.I., et al., 2001. An alternative energy source from palm wastes industry for Malaysia and Indonesia. Energy Conversion and Management. 42(18), 2109-2118.
- Ong, H., Mahlia, T., Masjuki, H., 2012. A review on energy pattern and policy for transportation sector in Malaysia. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews. 16(1), 532-542.
- Ong, H.C., Mahlia, T.M.I., Masjuki, H.H., et al., 2011. Comparison of palm oil, Jatropha curcas and Calophyllum inophyllum for biodiesel: a review. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews. 15(8), 3501-3515.
- Silitonga, A.S., Atabani, A.E., Mahlia, T.M.I., et al., 2011. A review on prospect of Jatropha curcas for biodiesel in Indonesia. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews. 15(8), 3733-3756.
- Ahmed, S., Mahmood, A., Hasan, A., et al., 2016. A comparative review of China, India and Pakistan renewable energy sectors and sharing opportunities. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews. 57, 216-225.
- Akhmat, G., Zaman, K., 2013. Nuclear energy consumption, commercial energy consumption and economic growth in South Asia: bootstrap panel causality test. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews. 25, 552-559.
- Shukla, A.K., Sudhakar, K., Baredar, P., 2016. A comprehensive review on design of building integrated photovoltaic system. Energy and Buildings. 128, 99-110.
- Salem, T., Kinab, E., 2015. Analysis of building-integrated photovoltaic systems: a case study of commercial buildings under Mediterranean Climate. Procedia
- Engineering. 118, 538-545.
- Adams, S., Klobodu, E.K.M., Apio, A., 2018. Renewable and non-renewable energy, regime type and economic growth. Renewable Energy. 125, 755-767.
- Šahović, N., Da Silva, P.P., 2016. Community renewable energy-research perspectives. Energy Procedia. 106, 46-58.
- Dimzon, I.K.D., Morata, A.S., Janine, M., et al., 2018. Trace organic chemical pollutants from the lake waters of San Pablo City, Philippines by targeted and non-targeted analysis. Science of the Total Environment. 639, 588-595.
- Park, E., 2017. Potentiality of renewable resources: Economic feasibility perspectives in South Korea. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews. 79, 61-70.
- Xu, R., Li, G., Zhao, S., et al., 2018. Effect of biomass burning on black carbon (BC) in South Asia and Tibetan Plateau: The analysis of WRF-Chem modeling. Science of the Total Environment. 645, 901-912.
- Zahedi, R., Ahmadi, A., Eskandarpanah, R., et al., 2022. Evaluation of Resources and Potential Measurement of Wind Energy to Determine the Spatial Priorities for the Construction of Wind-Driven Power Plants in Damghan City. International Journal of Sustainable Energy and Environmental Research. 11(1), 1-22.
- Ghodrati, A., Zahedi, R., Ahmadi, A., 2022. Analysis of cold thermal energy storage using phase change materials in freezers. Journal of Energy Storage. 51, 104433.
- Connolly, D., Lund, H., Mathiesen, B.V., et al., 2010. Modelling the existing Irish energy-system to identify future energy costs and the maximum wind penetration feasible. Energy. 35(5), 2164-2173.
- Mamat, R., Sani, M., Sudhakar, K., 2019. Renewable energy in Southeast Asia: Policies and recommendations. Science of the Total Environment. 670, 1095- 1102.
- Liu, S., Meng, X., Tam, C., 2015. Building information modeling based building design optimization for sustainability. Energy and Buildings. 105, 139-153.
- Raghuwanshi, S.S., Arya, R., 2019. Renewable energy potential in India and future agenda of research. International Journal of Sustainable Engineering. 12(5), 291-302.
- Shi, X., Chen, H., Yu, Y., et al., 2018. Development of variable renewable energy policy in developing countries: a case study of Sri Lanka. International Journal of Public Policy. 14(1-2), 10-29.
- Kashif, M., Awan, M.B., Nawaz, S., et al., 2020. Untapped renewable energy potential of crop residues in Pakistan: Challenges and future directions. Journal of Environmental Management. 256, 109924.
- Poudyal, R., Loskot, P., Nepal, R., et al., 2019. Mitigating the current energy crisis in Nepal with renewable energy sources. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews. 116, 109388.
- Norouzi, M., Yeganeh, M., Yusaf, T., 2021. Landscape framework for the exploitation of renewable energy resources and potentials in urban scale (case study: Iran). Renewable Energy. 163, 300-319.
- Baky, M.A.H., Rahman, M.M., Islam, A.S., 2017. Development of renewable energy sector in Bangladesh: Current status and future potentials. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews. 73, 1184-1197.
- Noorollahi, Y., Itoi, R., Yousefi, H., et al., 2017. Modeling for diversifying electricity supply by maximizing renewable energy use in Ebino city southern Japan. Sustainable Cities and Society. 34, 371-384.
- Zahedi, R., Ghorbani, M., Daneshgar, S., et al., 2022. Potential measurement of Iran's western regional wind energy using GIS. Journal of Cleaner Production. 330, 129883.
- Zahedi, R., Ahmadi, A., Gitifar, S., 2022. Reduction of the environmental impacts of the hydropower plant by microalgae cultivation and biodiesel production. Journal of Environmental Management. 304, 114247.
- Mujiyanto, S., Tiess, G., 2013. Secure energy supply in 2025: Indonesia's need for an energy policy strategy. Energy Policy. 61, 31-41.
- Purba, N.P., Kelvin, J., Gibran, S., et al., 2015. Suitable locations of ocean renewable energy (ORE) in Indonesia region–GIS approached. Energy Procedia. 65, 230-238.
- Kusumadewi, T.V., Limmeechokchai, B., 2017. CO2 mitigation in residential sector in Indonesia and Thailand: potential of renewable energy and energy efficiency. Energy Procedia. 138, 955-960.
- Mendoza, J.M.F., Alejandro, G.S., Schmidt, R.X.C., et al., 2019. Sustainability assessment of home-made solar cookers for use in developed countries. Science of the Total Environment. 648, 184-196.
- Pambudi, N.A., 2018. Geothermal power generation in Indonesia, a country within the ring of fire: Current status, future development and policy. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews. 81, 2893-2901.
- Sugiawan, Y., Managi, S., 2016. The environmental Kuznets curve in Indonesia: Exploring the potential of renewable energy. Energy Policy. 98, 187-198.
- Daneshgar, S., Zahedi, R., 2022. Optimization of power and heat dual generation cycle of gas microturbines through economic, exergy and environmental analysis by bee algorithm. Energy Reports. 8, 1388-1396.
- Ahmed, A., Muhammad, S., Abul, K., et al., 2018. Potential thermochemical conversion of bioenergy from Acacia species in Brunei Darussalam: A review. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews. 82, 3060-3076.
- Kyaw, W.W., Sukchai, S., Ketjoy, N., et al., 2011. Energy utilization and the status of sustainable energy in Union of Myanmar. Energy Procedia. 9, 351-358.
- Sovacool, B.K., 2013. Confronting energy poverty behind the bamboo curtain: A review of challenges and solutions for Myanmar (Burma). Energy for Sustainable Development. 17(4), 305-314.
- Newcombe, A., Ackom, E.K., 2017. Sustainable solar home systems model: Applying lessons from Bangladesh to Myanmar’s rural poor. Energy for Sustainable Development. 38, 21-33.
- Pode, R., Pode, G., Diouf, B., 2016. Solution to sustainable rural electrification in Myanmar. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews. 59, 107-118.
- Kim, H., Jung, T.Y., 2018. Independent solar photovoltaic with Energy Storage Systems (ESS) for rural electrification in Myanmar. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews. 82, 1187-1194.
- Riva, F., Ahlborg, H., Hartvigsson, E., et al., 2018. Electricity access and rural development: Review of complex socio-economic dynamics and causal diagrams for more appropriate energy modelling. Energy for Sustainable Development. 43, 203-223.
- Suman, S., 2018. Hybrid nuclear-renewable energy systems: A review. Journal of Cleaner Production.181, 166-177.
- Kies, A., Schyska, B., Viet, D.T., et al., 2017. Largescale integration of renewable power sources into the Vietnamese power system. Energy Procedia. 125, 207-213.
- Daneshgar, S., Zahedi, R., 2022. Investigating the hydropower plants production and profitability using system dynamics approach. Journal of Energy Storage. 46, 103919.
- Larsen, S.V., Hansen, A.M., Nielsen, H.N., 2018. The role of EIA and weak assessments of social impacts in conflicts over implementation of renewable energy policies. Energy Policy. 115, 43-53.
- Cabalu, H., Koshy, P., Corong, E., et al., 2015. Modelling the impact of energy policies on the Philippine economy: Carbon tax, energy efficiency, and changes in the energy mix. Economic Analysis and Policy. 48, 222-237.
- Matsuda, K., 2016. Comparative study of energy saving potential for heavy chemical complex by area-wide approach. Energy. 116, 1397-1402.
- Mahapatra, M., Upadhyaya, S., Aviso, S., et al., 2017. Selection of vaccine strains for serotype O footand-mouth disease viruses (2007–2012) circulating in Southeast Asia, East Asia and Far East. Vaccine. 35(51), 7147-7153.
- Terabe, S., Takada, K., Yai, T., 2017. International cooperation in transportation research among East Asian countries: Experience of the Eastern Asia society for transportation studies (EASTS). Case Studies on Transport Policy. 5(1), 55-60.
- Phoualavanh, S., Limmeechokchai, B., 2015. Analysis of energy efficiency and bio-energy in the land transportation in Lao PDR. Energy Procedia. 79, 33-38.
- Smits, M., Bush, S.R., 2010. A light left in the dark: The practice and politics of pico-hydropower in the Lao PDR. Energy Policy. 38(1), 116-127.
- Zahedi, R., Daneshgar, S., 2022. Exergy analysis and optimization of Rankine power and ejector refrigeration combined cycle. Energy. 240, 122819.
- Gasbarro, F., Iraldo, F., Daddi, T., 2017. The drivers of multinational enterprises' climate change strategies: A quantitative study on climate-related risks and opportunities. Journal of Cleaner Production. 160, 8-26.
- Ali, Q., Khan, M.T.I., Khan, M.N.I., 2018. Dynamics between financial development, tourism, sanitation, renewable energy, trade and total reserves in 19 Asia cooperation dialogue members. Journal of Cleaner Production. 179, 114-131.
- Dogan, E., Seker, F., 2016. The influence of real output, renewable and non-renewable energy, trade and financial development on carbon emissions in the top renewable energy countries. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews. 60, 1074-1085.
- Narayan, S., Doytch, N., 2017. An investigation of renewable and non-renewable energy consumption and economic growth nexus using industrial and residential energy consumption. Energy Economics. 68, 160-176.
- De Andres, A., Macgilivray, A., Roberts, O., et al., 2017. Beyond LCOE: A study of ocean energy technology development and deployment attractiveness. Sustainable Energy Technologies and Assessments. 19, 1-16.
- de Paulo, A.F., Porto, G.S., 2017. Solar energy technologies and open innovation: A study based on bibliometric and social network analysis. Energy Policy. 108, 228-238.
- Chang, Y., Fang, Z., Li, Y., 2016. Renewable energy policies in promoting financing and investment among the East Asia Summit countries: Quantitative assessment and policy implications. Energy Policy. 95, 427-436.
- Quirapas, M.A.J.R., Lin, H., Abundo, M.L.S., et al., 2015. Ocean renewable energy in Southeast Asia: A review. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews. 41, 799-817.
- Luong, N.D., 2015. A critical review on energy efficiency and conservation policies and programs in Vietnam. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews. 52, 623-634.
- Oh, T.H., Hasanuzzaman, M., Selvaraj, J., et al., 2018. Energy policy and alternative energy in Malaysia: Issues and challenges for sustainable growth–An update. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews. 81, 3021-3031.
- Sarkodie, S.A., Adams, S., 2018. Renewable energy, nuclear energy, and environmental pollution: accounting for political institutional quality in South Africa. Science of the Total Environment. 643, 1590-1601.
- Lim, X.L., Lam, W.H., 2014. Public acceptance of marine renewable energy in Malaysia. Energy Policy. 65, 16-26.
- Ren, C., Zhang, W., Zhong, Z., et al., 2018. Differential responses of soil microbial biomass, diversity, and compositions to altitudinal gradients depend on plant and soil characteristics. Science of the Total Environment. 610, 750-758.
- deLlano-Paz, F., Calvo-Silvosa, A., Soares, I., et al., 2017. Energy planning and modern portfolio theory: A review. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews. 77, 636-651.
- Delina, L.L., 2018. Whose and what futures? Navigating the contested coproduction of Thailand’s energy sociotechnical imaginaries. Energy Research & Social Science. 35, 48-56.
- Shafii, F., 2008. Status of sustainable building in South-East Asia. Report prepared for SB08 Melbourne.
- Shukla, K., Rangnekar, S., Sudhakar, K., 2016. Mathematical modelling of solar radiation incident on tilted surface for photovoltaic application at Bhopal, MP, India. International Journal of Ambient Energy. 37(6), 579-588.
- Shukla, A.K., Sudhakar, K., Baredar, P., 2017. Renewable energy resources in South Asian countries: Challenges, policy and recommendations. Resource-Efficient Technologies. 3(3), 342-346.
- Fahimi, A., Upham, P., 2018. The renewable energy sector in Afghanistan: Policy and potential. Wiley Interdisciplinary Reviews: Energy and Environment.7(2), e280.
- Zahedi, R., Golivari, S., 2022. Investigating Threats to Power Plants Using a Carver Matrix and Providing Solutions: A Case Study of Iran. International Journal of Sustainable Energy and Environmental Research. 11(1), 23-36.
- Mousavi, M.S., Ahmadi, A., Entezari, A., 2022. Forecast of Using Renewable Energies in the Water and Wastewater Industry of Iran. New Energy Exploitation and Application. 1(2).
- Moosavian, S.F., Zahedi, R., Hajinezhad, A., 2022. Economic, environmental and social impact of carbon tax for Iran: a computable general equilibrium analysis. Energy Science & Engineering. 10(1), 13-29.
- Zahedi, R., Zahedi, A., Ahmadi, A., 2022. Strategic Study for Renewable Energy Policy, Optimizations and Sustainability in Iran. Sustainability. 14(4), 2418.
- Vidadili, N., Suleymanov, E., Bulut, C., et al., 2017. Transition to renewable energy and sustainable energy development in Azerbaijan. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews. 80, 1153-1161.
- Balakrishnan, P., Shabbir, M.S., Siddiqi, A.F., et al., 2020. Current status and future prospects of renewable energy: A case study. Energy Sources, Part A: Recovery, Utilization, and Environmental Effects. 42(21), 2698-2703.